CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Kite Runner discussion

Here are a few questions I found online to spur our discussion of The Kite Runner. If you found something else interesting in your reading, please share - don't limit your comments to these questions.


**WARNING** The questions below and the discussion will contain spoilers about the book.

1: What did The Kite Runner teach you about Afghanistan? About friendship? About forgiveness, redemption and love?

2: Who suffers the most in the book?

3: Were you surprised to learn about the racial tension between the Pashtuns and Hazaras in Afghanistan? How is this similar to and different from other racial tensions in nations around the world?

4: What were your impressions of Baba and did they change throughout the book? How was he different in America than Afghanistan?

5: Why did Amir act the way he did towards Hassan after he witnessed the rape? Why did Hassan act the way he did to Amir?

6: Did Amir ever redeem himself?

7: Who was the character that most inspired you?

8: Rate the book 1-10 and explain.

1 comments:

Holly said...

The person I was the most inspired by was Amir. I think a lot of people would say Hassan, but the fact that Amir could change gave me hope. When he was faced with confronting the 'white Talib' he went instead of running away, which had been the actions of his youth. When the General asked about the origins of Sohrab he was honest. It gave me hope that I can change for the better.

Even though I had read the book before I had forgotten some things and I was surprised to learn (again) that Amir and Hassan were half-brothers. I remember a moment of clarity, much as Amir must have felt upon the realization that his father's actions all those years were out of love for both sons.

One thing that struck me was the comment of Amir at the end of Chapter 14 or 15 when he was talking about infertility and how his wife's barren womb had become a presence they could feel. I totally understand how that is and understand how infertility is a stigma in society and a very uncomfortable label to live under.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the book a 7. It was a pretty easy read, offered some historical information and kept me entertained.