CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April 2008: East of Eden


April's book will be East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I have not read the book, but the storyline intrigued me. Here is some info to give you an idea of what to expect:

John Steinbeck's last significant work of fiction (1952), a huge family saga based on the book of Genesis, is set in the Salinas Valley of the author's youth. Beginning with the purchase of a parcel of rich California farmland by Samuel Hamilton, who comes from Ireland with his wife, EAST OF EDEN traces the turbulent lives of the Hamilton and Trask families from the Civil War to the end of World War I. Adam Trask marries a prostitute who bears him twin sons--the Cain and Abel figures--and their rivalry shadows the second half of the novel, culminating in tragedy.

"Probably the best of John Steinbeck's novels, 'East of Eden' is long but not 'big', and anyone who, deceived by its spread in space and time (c.1860-1920), says that it is 'epical in its sweep,' is merely in the usual grip of cliche....Through the exercise of a really rather remarkable freedom of his rights as a novelist, Mr. Steinbeck weaves in, and more particularly around, this story of prostitution a fantasia of history and of myth that results in a strange and original work of art."
New York Times Book Review - Mark Schorer (09/21/1952)

I have found the book on ebay for as low as $0.99 or you can get it on on Amazon for $11.56

4 comments:

Briana Ward said...

Holly this is a great book. I read it last year and it is well worth the read. I love the story and the people in it! 2 big thumbs up from me!

Holly said...

Briana, that will be great to have someone who has read it to discuss with! :)

Briana Ward said...

Sorry I did not vote, I was not on the computer very much this weekend and missed your post!

Janus said...

sorry I didn't vote either, I was in Tennessee for spring break and wasn't near the computer. I will seriously try to read this book, because the book that I'm suppossed to read this month is just not happening for me. So, hopefully this will be a book that I can get into.