CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 17, 2009

Atonement Discussion

Sorry this is a bit late...a cross country trip will do that to ya!

I borrowed the following questions from this website.

  1. Robbie is treated like a member of the Tallis household. He has had a Cambridge education and is considering going to Medical College, however, he is still the housekeeper’s son. What bearing does this have on his and Cecilia’s relationship and the reaction he receives after the allegations?

  2. Robbie writes Cecilia a sexually explicit love letter that she never should have read. How do the events that result from this letter compare with the romantic ideals of love as harbored by young Briony in her play?

  3. Leon and Cecilia are adults in an adult world whilst Briony is thirteen and still a child trying to impress her siblings. How does being the youngest sibling affect Briony’s actions throughout the novel?

  4. Briony is precocious and harbors delusions of adulthood. These delusions are challenged both by the homecoming of her newly graduated sister and the arrival of her glamorous cousin, Lola. To what extent do her feelings of inferiority brought on by these events drive Briony to make the rape allegations? Why does she substitute Cecilia and Robbie as the victim and the assailant?

  5. Robbie witnesses many horrific sights in France. How does his experience of the war compare with those of the sisters? How realistic do you think McEwan’s descriptions of the horrors of war are?

  6. As an old lady Briony reveals that much of what she has told the reader is not true. Is this atonement of the title for her benefit or for ours? Is it too late for her to be asking for forgiveness?
As always, if you want to discuss anything else...please do.

1 comments:

Holly said...

I have to admit I was disappointed in this book. I expected a more riveting story. There were about 50 pages or so tucked in the middle that kept my attention, but overall I found myself having to push through the pages just to get it done.
I felt like I was on a walk with a friend who had ADD. McEwan would be telling some facet of the story and then go into such in-depth detail on some MINOR piece and I would skip entire paragraphs, sometiems even pages.
I don't feel like the novel had a natural climax and resolution.
I do not plan on keeping this book, and I will not read it again...nor do I have any desire to see the 'critically acclaimed' movie.