CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 17, 2009

May 2009: The Count of Monte Cristo

May 2009's book will be The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.



I am giving you a heads up on this one because it is a bit of a long. My copy is 591 pages. So it will technically be May's book, but we'll start it now, which means you'll have to read about 100 pages a week.

The summary from the back of my book reads:

Dashing young Edmund Dantes has everything. He is engaged to a beautiful woman, is about to become the captain of a ship, and is well liked by almost everyone. But his perfect life is shattered when he is frames by a jealous rival and thrown into a dark prison cell for fourteen years.

Written in Dumas' oft-imitates style of adventure and suspense and filled with vivid details of post-Napoleonic France, The Count of Monte Cristo continues to dazzle readers with its thrilling and memorable scenes, including Dantes' miraculous escape from the deadful chateau d'If, his amazing discovery of a vast hidden treasure, and his transformation into a man whose astonishing thirst for vengence is as cruel as it is just.


I read this once in Junior High as I think everyone did, although I think it was an abridged version. I loved the movie that came out a few years back and I have wanted to re-read the book for a while. I found my copy at Barnes & Noble. They have a Barnes & Noble Classics collection in which they have copies of great classics at incredible prices. You can get a paperback copy here for under $6! (In store they often have deals on the classics, like buy 2 get 1 free)

We'll meet back here at the end of May to discuss the book. Also, we'll be deciding on reading selections for the summer. Watch for the voting post.

0 comments: